Healthy Families BC is the Province’s health promotion plan to encourage British Columbians to make healthier choices.
In May 2011, the Ministry of Health launched a provincial strategy that aims at improving the health and well being of all British Columbians and the communities they live in. The strategy focuses on supporting four key areas that include, proper nutrition, personal responsibility and investment in a healthy lifestyle, helping the most vulnerable families give their babies the best start in life and encouraging citizens to lead healthier lifestyles where they live, work and play. Healthy Families BC offers British Columbians the critical resources for better managing their own health and reducing the incident of chronic disease. To learn more, click here.
Healthy Families BC is your online resource for health and wellness information. Whether you are looking for tips on eating healthy when at home or dining out, programs and supports that can help you live a healthier lifestyle by either becoming more physically active or quit smoking, or want to learn more about the importance of a healthy start for you and your baby, this website will provide you with the necessary tools and information to assist you in making better choices when it comes to managing your and your family’s health.
Some of the resources you can find on the site:
Healthy Families BC Blog:
- Partnering with HealthLink BC and the Physical Activity Line, registered dietitians and kinesiologists are blogging daily about healthy eating, physical activity and more. Be part of the conversation, join the Healthy Families BC community today!
- Prescription for Health – A Provincial program that provides opportunities for British Columbians who smoke, are obese, are inactive or have unhealthy eating habits to talk to their family physician about improving their health through incentives and support services.
- Informed Dining – A Provincial program that has been designed to assist you and your family with the facts you need to make informed choices about food choices when dining out.
- Sodium Sense - Without knowing it, you can consume a large amount of sodium each day. This tool can help you learn which food items are higher or lower in sodium so you can make healthier eating choices in real life.
- Shopping Sense – A fun interactive tool that gives you easy access to information and videos on how to make healthy, budget-wise shopping choices while in the grocery store.
- Workplace Assessment – A tool for the employers to can help them learn more ways to make the workplace a healthier environment for their employees.