Physical activity is an important part of a healthy lifestyle, but the truth is at least two in five British Columbians are not physically active enough to reap the health benefits.
All it takes is 150 minutes per week in intervals of 10 minutes to start looking and feeling healthier.
The benefits of physical activity affect you from the inside out. Some improvements are gradual, others you'll notice right away. Don't be surprised if small changes to your physical activity routine start to make a big difference in the way you look and feel.
Getting active can be simple and fun!
Being physically active doesn't just mean playing sports. Start off by adding more activity to your daily routine. If you drive to work, try parking a few blocks from the office. Change your weekly coffee date with friends to a walk (you can put your coffee into a To-Go cup!). Make walking the dog a family outing. Or, if you're at home with kids, do jumping jacks, play tag or dance around the house; make it fun!
Get Active. Get Healthy.
Here are some of the health benefits you can look forward to once you start making physical activity a regular part of your daily routine:
- Helps maintain a healthybody weight
- Builds stronger bones and tones muscles
- Improves balance and posture
- Helps control blood pressure
- Improves cholesterol levels
- Increases resistance to disease
- Reduces chance of a heart attack
- Lowers risk of Type 2 diabetes
- Improves self-esteem and confidence
- Increases relaxation
- Improves quality of sleep
- Increases energy
- Reduces feelings of anxiety/depression
- Reduces stress
- Improves mental state
Get Active Tip Sheets
For some practical information to help you build physical activity into a healthy lifestyle, the Public Health Agency of Canada has produced tip sheets for