Many of us spend a lot of time where we work and a healthy workplace is a more enjoyable place to be.
Employees can spend up to 10.5 hours a day working and commuting.
Including physical activity into this time is important!
It's easy to make a few changes without too much effort. Here's how to sneak in some physical activity:
- Wear comfortable shoes which will encourage walking and standing.
- Keep muscles limber by doing exercises throughout the day (e.g., wall push-ups, squats).
- Start with little things: walk briskly to the photocopier, use the stairs, and schedule walking meetings.
- Get off the bus a few stops early.
- Park the car a little further away from work.
While you'll likely notice that you're feeling better, your employer may see big benefits too. Healthy workplace facts:
- Workplace-wellness programs reduce both sick leave and compensation costs by 25%.
- While the most common form of promoting workplace health is a fitness program, only 29% of worksites with 100 or more employees offer them.
- Health benefits of physical activity occur at remarkably low volumes. Very small bouts of exercise have significant benefits.
Remember every little bit counts! Five to ten minutes here and there can add up to a half hour during the day. If you still need that little extra nudge, contact the Qualified Exercise Professionals at the HealthLink BC Physical Activity Services (8-1-1), they’ll get you motivated.